VOLUNTEER CODE OF CONDUCT
Volunteers are dedicated alumni who have been invited to serve as advocates and champions for Johns Hopkins University. Our volunteers play a significant role, supporting the university by engaging alumni, students, parents, and friends through activities, programs, events, and individual outreach. Volunteers perform tasks without compensation and are not considered employees of the university. Nevertheless, we expect our alumni volunteers to abide by the following:
- Promote and protect the best interests of the Office of Alumni Relations and the university by carrying out volunteer responsibilities in an ethical, positive, and informed manner.
- Safeguard all sensitive, confidential or proprietary information, including alumni data and payment information, at all times.
- Identify yourself as an alumni volunteer, not as an employee or official representative of the university, when engaging with third parties, including venues, media outlets, other universities, companies, etc. Direct questions that are beyond your expertise to the Office of Alumni Relations.
- No volunteer has the authority, either implied or express, to enter into any contract in the name of the University. .
- Maintain respectful and professional verbal and written communications with alumni, students, parents, university staff and other constituents.
- Acknowledge and respect other volunteers and their contributions, talents, efforts, and dignity. Be courteous and respectful of their opinions; participate in honest and open communication.
- The university will not tolerate discrimination or harassment in any form, including, and not limited to, any actions that would be considered as bullying, berating, and belittling any staff member, fellow volunteer, or university constituent.
Specific to Conflict of Interest:
- Alert the Office of Alumni Relations immediately when personal or professional conflicts of interest prevent you from volunteering.
- Avoid placing your own self-interest or any third party self-interest above that of the university.
- Disclose involvement with other organizations, businesses, or individuals where such a relationship(s) might be viewed as an actual or potential conflict between your personal financial interests and that of the university, and removing yourself from participating in any decision with respect to those interests.
- Volunteers may not use their role for personal or commercial gain.
Please note that the Office of Alumni Relations reserves the right to disengage at any time with an alumni volunteer who does not adhere to the above guidelines, or whose actions are deemed inappropriate or unprofessional for their role. Similarly, volunteers may disengage their role with the Office of Alumni Relations at any time if they believe that their expectations are not being met or that their role is no longer fulfilling. Notice of such decisions should be communicated in writing as soon as possible.
INFORMATION CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT
The Johns Hopkins Alumni Association respects the privacy of our alumni and university community and is committed to guarding against the unauthorized use or distribution of personal alumni information.
Alumni records are proprietary information maintained by Johns Hopkins University for official use and are not released to the general public or business community.
Official university use includes, but is not limited to: dissemination of university news and publications; invitation to university, athletic and alumni chapter events; class and affinity reunion planning and activities; sanctioned university student clubs and organizations; alumni activities; and authorized third party solicitations endorsed by the Alumni Association, such as affinity credit cards and alumni directory publications.
Alumni lists or labels may be released to Johns Hopkins alumni only if they are to be used for university activities or projects approved or endorsed by the Alumni Association and the appropriate university official only.
Alumni lists may not be used for fundraising purposes unless otherwise approved by the Office of Alumni Relations.
Alumni information released to volunteers may not be copied, reproduced or otherwise distributed without the written consent of the Office of Alumni Relations.
Individuals or groups may not use Johns Hopkins University alumni lists or labels for personal, commercial or political uses.
Additionally, individuals and groups are prohibited from using lists or labels obtained from Johns Hopkins University for creating and/or maintaining independent alumni databases or web sites.
Any information regarding corrections, additions or deletions of data contained in the report(s) provided for your use should be reported to the Office of Alumni Relations within one week.
By signing below, you agree that you have read and understand the Confidentiality Statement.
If this document is being submitted electronically, by typing my name in the signature box, I understand and acknowledge that I am electronically signing this statement.